My piece is called "3 virtues". It's a little bit of a transitional piece for me. I was stuck and didn't know quite what to make. I've been looking at a lot of Islamic religious art lately and I tried to make some flowers similar to a work I admire from Turkey. I made the positives out of clay and then cast them together in plaster using half of a serrated aluminum tube. I finished it with black enamel and shellac. I realize it looks a little bit like donuts. I'm a little apathetic about it-- which is why the photography isn't so hot. However, I think I've come unstuck. Happy Spring everyone!
Wednesday, March 18, 2015
Ringgold Inspiration: Michelle
My piece is called "3 virtues". It's a little bit of a transitional piece for me. I was stuck and didn't know quite what to make. I've been looking at a lot of Islamic religious art lately and I tried to make some flowers similar to a work I admire from Turkey. I made the positives out of clay and then cast them together in plaster using half of a serrated aluminum tube. I finished it with black enamel and shellac. I realize it looks a little bit like donuts. I'm a little apathetic about it-- which is why the photography isn't so hot. However, I think I've come unstuck. Happy Spring everyone!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

your work (and last month's) is so invitingly tactile (and dimensional, obviously) I wish I could walk around it, pick it up, experience it in a multisensory way. Lovely.
ReplyDeleteI am always amazed by your work, left wondering how you came up with the idea for the shapes you make. I love your art Michelle.
ReplyDelete