Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Ringgold Inspiration: Steve

"Horizon"
altered book, 9" x 12" closed

As I looked at the Ringgold quilt I imagined rearranging the face squares with different body squares, and that reminded me of children's books that have divided pages so that you can put different body parts together. I decided to make one of those books with collage and eventually added paint, crayon and ink. It was a lot of fun to work on. Gradually I became aware that the book truly reflects my experiences of fluid gender and identity. I also am aware of a strong theme of what (for lack of a better word) I would call reincarnation, or maybe simultaneous incarnations.

There are approximately fifteen different heads and bodies in the book so these photos show just a few of the combinations.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! I am blown away by this! Wonderful, beautiful, thoughtful. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have several of those kind of books --what a rich form to put your work in! I love it.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete